Monday, February 21, 2011

Peaceful sewing day

Today I have been home all day with Master Beehive. He had a temperature in the night and has had a rattly chest for a couple of days. I decided a quiet day in the warm wouldn't hurt, so he has been reading and drawing and doing "things" whilst I've tried to burn off some of my agrievances with the contents of my last post by sewing.
It's been a grey day here, still, calm but just vapid. I can't see the hills from my window as they are shrouded in a cloud, the sky and the cloud are identical so I can't see where one ends and the other begins. The brick in Edinburgh looks dreary on a grey day, but lights up so when the sun shines, it does a good job of dragging you further down when winter persists for as long as it does up here.

My inbox gets filled with spam saying things like "Get through the winter..." "Survive the dark winter evenings...",Even my coffee tastes bland this afternoon, so I decided to inject colour by getting behind the machine and making LMB and myself a few Spring items.

So, here are a few things I've recently made.
 These are my most favourite pants ever! These are my "Saskia-pants" although strictly they are called "Christ-catcher pants". The story behind the name is that they are worn by a tribe in Thailand I think who believe that Christ could be born again at anytime, of anyone. Hence they wear these in order for him not to land on his head when he is born. Of course, this tickles my humour, so from this point forth they are re-christened - "Baby-catcher pants". Rather apt don't you think? I wonder if there is a niche in the market to hire them out to fast birthers...?
 A fleecy Spring jacket for LMB. I didn't use a pattern for this, for my sins and had a bit of a mare trying to work out how to do a simple hood for it. In the end I scrapped the hood idea and went with a simpler mandarin style collar and a srap across fastening. It just needs buttonholes and a couple of wooden toggles and it'll be finished.












A camera bag in the same cord as LMB's dungarees I made the other day. I have a fantastic bag that hosts both my small lens and my telephoto, but sometimes I just want something small to grab with just the simpler lens and the Muffintop bag is too bulky. So this is a lightweight single lens bag, no pockets, no fuss, with a reinforced handle and it's padded too just for a bit of extra protection.
More of the baby blue cord - job lot ;-) My little sis has just purchased herself a sewing machine, she has decided to join the band of merry stitchers too, so I offered to make her a pretty cover. I've just appliqued a flower on and it's lined with a groovy turquoise and purple spot.

Finally, my spring skirt, very simple A line skirt that is made from panels. Zip closure at the back and then a contrasting band of material at the bottom. I've had to take a few darts in as my body is such a weird shape hips in relation to waist, but that is one of the joys of being able to make your own clothes, I can do that! I don't have to rely on being a clone size 12 or 14 depending on where I shop, I can be a lumpy, bumpy 13.5 if I so wish!




Now if this blasted weather would just do one and bring me an opportunity to wear it, I'd be a happy bunny.

No comments: