Sunday, September 23, 2007

Bee-nanas in pyjamas


Weekends never go according to plan - and now I can say that with a smile on my face!


I am kind of trying to write this with wet hair, just out of my pyjamas, having had around 3 hours sleep and knowing that I have another night of that or less coming up very soon as I am on call, but my clients are very obligingly staying pregnant at the moment!

Yesterday morning, Master Beehive the elder started the day by not wanting to get up. He was a little short of breath and his legs felt wobbly. He sounded a little chesty, so I told him to stay in bed and we kept an eye on him. By around lunchtime, he had eaten a teaspoon of soup and brought it back and crawled away from the table refusing anything - very unlike him. He didn't have a temperature, but his chest was sounding more rattly and I didn't like the way it was heaving whilst he seemed to struggle to breathe. To cut a long story short, we ended up in the ER and then he was admitted overnight so that they could stabilize his oxygen levels which were pretty low.

He was psyched about staying in overnight. I think he had some vision of the Ritz Carlton, room service, tv in his bedroom, all the juice he could drink and..........apparently, the best bit........ you could order breakfast - this was evidence the cocktail of anti-inflamatory steroids and antibiotics (in case it was pneumonia again!) were working, as his mind was back on his tummy again!

So we are now home, it turns out this was an "asthmatic episode" triggered by perhaps an infection and possibly some "walking pneumonia" alongside, (what the heck defines"walking" pneumonia apart from the obvious I don't know, except I wonder how they classify the other forms? sitting pneumonia, sleeping pneumonia?? or perhaps it isn't a description of the patient's condition at all because Master Beehive should surely be diagnosed with talking pneumonia!)

We have the same nice cocktail of drugs to give him over the next four days - one of which turns him into a jibbering heeby jeeby who can't stop talking for about 3 hours solid and a couple of outpatient visits to help us manage the asthma on a daily basis.
Mr Beehive, expecting us back after ER, was requested to pack up and bring over, a bag for us for the night.........of course, I probably should have made a list. He brought most stuff, toothbrushes, IPod, Master Beehive's sleeping groupies and a book that he wants me to read lol! - but no clean underwear! So on discharge, both Master Beehive and I decided we would stay in our PJ's to go home and shower there, the better of two evils -forgetting, on my part, that I had promised him a treat from Toys R Us for being so brave over his blood tests and IV ................
So there I was......................
Being the dutiful mother............
in my pyjamas..................
in the toy store trying to act normally, and not like someone who had just escaped from the institution..................
with pink plaid PJ's and matching pink sneakers........
at 2 in the afternoon!
Oh well, I can tick THAT off my list now too!

No comments: